Resources for Applicants
Thank you for your interest in Rocketship! We are committed to eliminating the achievement gap in our lifetimes, and we need talented teachers & school leaders like you to help us accomplish this mission. Below, you will find an overview of our application process and tips to help you through each stage. If at any time you have questions or concerns feel free to reach out to our Recruitment Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application Process Overview
All applications can be found on our jobs page. You will need to upload a resume and answer some informational questions about your experiences and employment preferences. It shouldn't take more than about 15 minutes.
You will get a confirmation email letting you know that we’ve received your application. If any information is missing or incomplete, we will reach out to you via email to request it. If you DO NOT hear from us within 2 weeks of submitting an application, you should check your SPAM folder for missed email.
2. Phone Interview
The second step of the process will be a phone interview with a Rocketship Recruiter. We will ask you general interview questions to get to know you better. Feel free to ask us questions about the role and our schools in this stage of the interview process.
3. Sample Video Lesson
The third part of the process is to submit a 15-20 minute video of your best teaching and the corresponding lesson plan. This may take a while to coordinate and prepare depending on your position or the school you currently work in, so we suggest you plan ahead in the process and try to do this as soon as possible.
If you do not have access to a classroom to complete this step in the process, talk to your recruiter.
Video Debrief (School Leader Applicants only)
In addition to submitting a video of you teaching, we will also ask you to watch a video of one of our teachers. We will provide you with a link to the video, and schedule a time to debrief the video with you. Be prepared to talk about what coaching strategies you would use with this teacher, and reflect on the teaching you saw in the video.
Data Sample (School Leader Applicants only)
All school leader candidates who advance to the next stage will need to submit a sample of data from their classroom or school with a written reflection.
4. In-Person Interview
The last stage of our application process is the in-person interview. Before you attend an in-person interview, we will ask you to submit copies of your unofficial transcripts, credential, credential exams, and references so have copies on hand! The in-person interview is composed of different activities including a visit to several of our campuses, and individual and group interviews with parents, network staff, and school leaders. You can expect to talk to as many as 20 people during our interview day. If you are coming from out of town, we will reimburse a portion of your trip, but for best availability book as soon as you get your in-person interview invitation!
Don't miss your chance to become a Rocketship teacher or school leader in San Jose, Milwaukee or Nashville for the 2015-16 school year. See open positions.
See our Educator Events page for opportunities to connect with Rocketship and learn more about our schools.
• Analyze the Job Description. Read job descriptions thoroughly and if relevant, focus your experiences on skills and achievements that are desirable for that particular position.
• Keep your resume concise. Your resume should be no more than one double-sided page, or two single sided pages. See the bullet above on tips to keep it short with the most relevant experiences upfront.
• If you are having trouble uploading documents, remove any numbers and/or symbols (.,/-) from the title of the attachment and try uploading again.
Sample Video Lesson Tips
• We are looking for your instructional ability with the students you currently serve. Try to focus the 15-30 minutes on your “best” teaching.
• All videos will remain private to Rocketship Staff. Still worried about permissions for students? Put the camera in the back of the room so you only capture the backs of students’ heads and not their faces. ? Leave the video to load overnight if your video is taking a long time to upload.
Sample Lesson Examples
Phone & In-Person Interview Tips
• We are looking for people who are excited about our mission: to eliminate the achievement gap within our lifetimes. Let your passion for education and our mission shine through!
• Do your homework, explore our website and videos. Come prepared to talk about what excellent teaching looks like and how you are working towards that vision.
• Be yourself! Interviews are about finding a mutual fit, by relaxing and being yourself, we can both figure out if Rocketship is the best place for you to be successful!